Just a few points to consider to get you started in travel writing:
• Write in the first person, past tense (or present if need be), and make your story a personal account, mixed with facts, description and your observations.
• Many writers start with something that grabs the reader’s attention and makes them want to read on. Don’t start with the journey to the airport!.
• Try to come up with a narrative thread that will run throughout. The piece should flow, but don’t tell the entire trip, cherry pick the best bits.
• Quotes from people you met can bring the piece to life
• Avoid cliches. Try to come up with original descriptions that mean something.
• Don’t use phrases and words you wouldn’t use in speech the best writing sounds natural and has personality.
• Check your facts!
• Write economically.
• Avoid tales of personal mishaps focus on telling the reader something about the place, about an experience that they might have too if they were to repeat the trip.
That should give you some ideas on what to concentrate on.